Monday, October 25, 2010
Pixie
I decided I needed a haircut. I asked a few students, Mary and Amelia, to come along to help with translation. I had a photo with me. The students thought it was crazy for me to cut my hair off short. Long hair is a treasure* in China. I convinced them that this was really what I wanted and assured them that if I hated it, my hair would grow and I could wear a hat in the meantime. I asked Mary if she had ever cut her hair short. She said she had not--that she only liked her hair long. Both girls were concerned as the hairdresser snipped away. But then. . .at the end of it all, they both really liked it and said their classmates would not even recognize me. And Mary said she wants to cut her hair off now. :)
A wash, cut, and style, all for the whopping price of 5 yuan (less than $1.00U.S.).
*I found out later that many girls treasure long hair in China because when they young, schools often require girls to cut their hair off to their chin so that it will not be a distraction from their studies (less morning hair prep and less attention from boys).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is cute Mallary and will be so quick to dry! You look adorable.
ReplyDeletewhat a change, but I like it! You can rock just about any hairstyle Mallary! :)
ReplyDeleteVery cute!!!
ReplyDeleteso interesting what the back-story was on the appreciation for long hair. it just reminds me that there's nearly always a story behind everybody's opinion or strongly held belief. and you often don't really fully understand people until you get to know that story.
ReplyDelete