Our students all choose English names their freshmen year. I teach sophomores, so my students already had English names when I arrived. Most of them are decent, but I do have a Beryl, Rainbow, Star, and I asked Turing to change her name to Tori. I also have an "Ashliy." I asked her on Day 1 if she wanted to change the spelling of her name to the traditional American spelling, but she prefers the "i."
And then there's "Shmily" (in the yellow flowered dress above). Go ahead. Say it out loud. It's funny. I recommended "Emily," but she insisted that she loved the name Shmily. Some people have weird names in America. Who am I to judge? But it wasn't until this week (after I accidentally misspelled her name) that she told me what it meant:
See
How
Much
I
Love
You
What a beautiful name with a great message!
ReplyDeleteAww, that's so cute. I think there was actually an e-mail forward with a story about a couple who would write this acronym in random places throughout their whole marriage.
ReplyDelete-Candace