Sunday, December 19, 2010

Street Food Qufu Style

This is my friend, the sweet potato (di gua) lady. I eat a sweet potato about five days a week after yoga. They are warm on wintery days and always delicious. When I walk up I always say, "Wo yao xiao de" which means, "I want a small one" because otherwise she will try to sell me a huge one. This week when I walked up she shook her head and said "xiao de, xiao de" as if to say, "Don't even say it, foreigner, I know what you want."


Handmade Noodles. Chip loves 'em. Check it out.




Pizza Bread! Well, there's no sauce, cheese, or your average toppings, but something about it looks like pizza to us, and it tastes a tad Italian.


Fried Potato Sandwich--Alison, our teammate, eating fresh-made bread filled with shredded potatoes. We ate this a lot when we first got to Qufu. It's deserves to be on the list of favorites, but right now, we are taking a break from daily fried potato sandwiches.

Below is a video of one of my favorite non-Chinese tasting street foods. Chip and I like to call it a "crunch wrap supreme." It is a thin bread with egg (or "bu yao jidan" for those adverse to eggs) with cilantro, green onions, bean paste, chili peppers, and something crunchy.
Almost Mexican, right?



...and there are many more kinds of street food. We just aren't brave enough to try them.

1 comment:

  1. mm, the Chinese crunch wrap reminds me of a crepe. there's a place here in Baltimore that makes crepes filled with all kind of different toppings, from Reuben ingredients to banana split ones. delicious! and i had no idea you could make noodles like that. that was really cool!
    - Bekah

    ReplyDelete