We taught "American Weddings" this week in Sophomore Western Culture class. Chip teaches two sections, and I teach three so together we celebrated five weddings this week. Each class had a bride, groom, bridesmaids, groomsmen, ring bearer, flower girl, singer, parents of the couple, and preacher.
Each bride wore a lovely dress made of toilet paper.
Wedding Party

The "father" giving away the bride
(At our school, English majors are mostly females so we had few male options.)

The flower girl threw fake flowers in the air!

The Wedding Ceremonies

Blowing bubbles to whisk away the bride and groom

Reception Party

The toast and speeches by the best man and maid of honor

Catching the garter!

The "father" giving away the bride
(At our school, English majors are mostly females so we had few male options.)
The flower girl threw fake flowers in the air!
The Wedding Ceremonies

Blowing bubbles to whisk away the bride and groom
Reception Party
The toast and speeches by the best man and maid of honor
Catching the garter!
Cake Cutting (and feeding)
Dancing at the reception (Cha-Cha Slide)

For those tremendously interested, there is an edited video of one of the weddings and some reception highlights.
Great post, Mallary and Chip! It's so fun to be able to teach cultural customs to foreign students, isn't it? Most of my students are pretty knowledgeable, but I do get the occasional opportunity for explanation in an ELL class or something. I also had similar experiences when I was teaching in China. I love all your pictures and video; you are really documenting and sharing your experiences well.
ReplyDeleteGreat videos! I enjoy seeing you all in the teacher role. What a fun custom to teach about. We noticed the coats. They did good on the YMCA moves. Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteoh, this was wonderfully fun to watch! how cool! have you learned much about what wedding customs are like in China?
ReplyDelete- Bekah