Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Love and Money



失恋33天 is a new Chinese romantic comedy about the 33 days right after a girl has been dumped. I watched it with my Chinese friend, Flora, last weekend. It's a very entertaining flick!

The main actor, 王小贱, has recently become very popular among Chinese girls. He is really a great actor and super funny in this show.


I enjoyed the movie as it gave me some interesting insight into Chinese culture. I want to relay one scene in particular. The "dumped" girl works for a wedding coordinating company. She is working with a couple that includes a rich Taiwanese girl who loves Louis Vuitton, Prada, and really any expensive purses and clothing, and her fiance who seems to be a smart and grounded guy, and who happens to be very rich.

The wedding coordinator asks him privately why he would choose a girl who cares more about money than love. He replies that the common girl cares more about love, but love doesn't last. This kind of girl cares most about money, and he will always have money. Then he says something to the effect of, "It saves me a lot of trouble to marry a girl who wants me more for my money than for my love."

The whole conversation seemed odd to me. I talked to Flora about it. She thought it sounded quite logical. . .sad, but logical. I said in America we often say not to marry a man for money because he could lose his money and then what would you have? This seemed odd to her. She said China is different. If you have money now, you will always have money. Money is more stable than love.

4 comments:

  1. That IS sad, and interesting. How much of the show can you understand?? I can't imagine how fast it must go by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The copy we watched did have English subtitles, but they were a poor, very Chinglish sounding translation. Flora stopped the movie often to explain things to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oo i love finding out new good chinese movies :D haha thanks for sharing mallary!

    ReplyDelete