NanHu is the park near our home where we have taken lovely walks on an autumn day and gone ice skating on a winter day. We have not tried swimming at the park. During all seasons of the year, Chinese people embrace the waters of NanHu. In the winter, that means breaking through the ice to create a pool. Yesterday, Chip and I went to watch some of the ice swimmers.
The icy pool
The icy stairs leading into the water
And here comes a swimmer now!
Down the icy stairs
Wading out then going under
Bear Grylls of "Man vs. Wild" says it only takes 20minutes to catch hypothermia. So this is a quick swim, then back to the bathhouse to change into dry clothes.
You can see a little old man being escorted by his wife down to the water. He swims and then she walks him to the bathhouse. He likely finds some health value in submerging into the icy waters.
Ice swimming sounds crazy. Don't do it! Resist, just resist! You can do something else crazy. That's warmer.
ReplyDeleteI have decided I am only going to do it if I can get a girl to do it with me. And I would most like to do it in February. . .because that just sounds colder than March or April even if the ice lasts until May. So anyway, the chances at this point are slim.
Deletewow, that does NOT sound tempting to me! i like my warmth when it's that cold out! have you found anyone to go with you? :)
ReplyDeleteNo, once the semester started, I got busy and really haven't thought about it since.
Delete