Sunday, March 4, 2012

What's New?

What's new with us? Well, we are in week two of our spring semester. That means our minds are spinning with Chinese, we do homework every night, and we have new tutors!


My new tutor is a post graduate exercise major. She used to teach aerobics so we have fun talking about Jazzercise, and she has taught me how to say many dance moves in Chinese. She does speak very quickly and a bit over my level, but today was the best day yet, so either she is slowing down or I am catching up. . .more likely the former.


Chip's new tutor is a junior English major. This is her first month working as a tutor and so far she seems great. Chip says he likes that she is new because she does not know how much he should know.

What else is new?


Double-decker buses! The 66 route, the one we most often ride, is now double-decker. A sure sign of growth in the city, and we think it's pretty cool to sit on the top level.


The snow is melting! We have both declared that we are done with long underwear for this season. Come on warmer days!


We found a source for raw milk. My older sister had been telling me about the benefits of raw milk (http://nourishedkitchen.com/raw-milk-101/) and through a friend we found this woman about one mile from our home who sells raw milk from a farm everyday at 2:30pm. We just bring an empty bottle and she fills it up for about 50cents.


Chip has made many friends lately. It's become sort of a joke. If you know Chip, you know he is quiet and not a relationship instigator, but lately he has gotten in talks with Chinese guys on the street, on the bus, and one of the tutors really attached himself to Chip (seen above).

What's new with you?

7 comments:

  1. love it!! great update and super cool double decker bus!! :D i'm updating my blog.. finally.. hope to see ya'll again soon in the chun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Harbin have double-decker buses? What's your blog address? If you've told me before, I've somehow lost it.

      Delete
  2. Are you sure that milk is safe??? It makes me nervous for some reason!

    I wish I could hear you speak Chinese!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend whose family has been drinking this woman's farm milk for about three years. I'm hopeful that it's pretty safe. In China, you can't buy refrigerated milk like you can in the states. Stores just carry boxed milk on the shelf or soy milk.

      And the next time we are together, I'll speak some Chinese for you! Or we could skype sometime?

      Delete
  3. That is so cool that you get to ride in a double decker bus. Also I am slightly jealous that your snow is melting. Here is Alaska, we have had since the first snow fall in November over 120 inches of snow and most of that is still on the ground. As for what I am up too. I have recently started a course in getting a Child Development Associate Credential. Which will help teach me how to be a pre-school teacher and allow to me to get better jobs as a pre-school teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I said our snow was melting, and then we got a big dump of snow the next day! And as for your snow, well, you do live in Alaska. Snow is to be expected.

      Good for you! I hope it is an enjoyable course and that you can find a job you love!

      Delete
  4. glad to hear the good news about your tutors, the milk (although like Molly, it made me a bit nervous, but it's helpful that you have a recommendation going for it at least), and Chip's new friends. sounds like the Father is taking good care of you! :)

    ReplyDelete