Thursday, May 10, 2012

Returning to our China Hometown


We are headed back to Qufu this weekend to visit our students from last year.  Tonight we will take a night train to Beijing and then a speed train to Qufu on Friday morning.  We will return to Changchun on Monday morning.  We are SO excited to see our students once again.  Please be lifting up this weekend--for meaningful conversations and reunions.

Language Victory:  I had to go to the ticket office four different days to get tickets for all four legs of our journey (not because there was a problem, just because this is how it works in China).  In the past when I have gone to get tickets, I usually reach a point somewhere in the transaction where I just cannot understand the person behind the counter and then search for someone in line who speaks a little English or who can explain it using charades.  But not this time.  This time I got the tickets without any problem.  If the trains I wanted weren't available, I was able to talk through it with the seller and find another train.  Better still, there was a Middle Eastern woman and Venezuelan man in line in front of me and they couldn't understand the ticket seller, and I got to help them! They waited for me after I was done purchasing my tickets and said, "We have more questions.  Can you help us read the ticket?"  This was a simple feat thanks to Lesson 29 in our textbook about train travel.  It is so exciting to see progress!

1 comment: