Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm not a runner. . .

But I've been running a lot lately.  I've mostly been running to train for a 7.5k that I'm running next weekend, but because I'd been running, I was willing to sign up for a foreign student track meet at our university.  Our participation means a lot to our Chinese teacher because it gives her "face" or positive reputation, something very important in Chinese culture. 

 Track meets are a pretty normal thing in China, and I don't mean for well-trained athletes.  China sees them as a way to have competition between departments or classes for fun but also to win.  We have attended a few track meets over the last few years, but this is the first time we participated.  Our school has over 700 foreign students and all were invited to attend.  And while many people attended, not many people watched so the stands were about this empty the whole time.
Each class had to have decorations so our class chose an Angry Birds theme.  We fanned our fans to cheer for people as they ran.  And they also came in handy for self-fanning as it was a HOT day.
Chip and I with our Angry Birds fans
During the opening, flags from all of the countries were march onto the field--probably about 30-40 countries represented.
Our friend Gabe, chosen likely because he is tall, was asked to carry the American flag, but in promotion of international exchange, he swapped flags with his Japanese friend next to him.


I ran in the 4x100m relay and ran the women's 200m.  I am proud to say that I got second place in the women's 200m, beat by a long shot by an African.  I can take that.
I ran in the 4x100relay with these great ladies.  I led the pack, passed off to Nettie, then to Jess, and Lauren brought us to the finish in 1st place in our heat. But then there were other heats, so we ended up 3rd overall.  Not too shabby.

Giving it all I had

Passing to Nettie
Nettie's pass to Jess
Lauren easily bringing our team across the finish line
After our big finish
In this race 一条龙, the dragon, ten of us from our class ran together around the track all holding a rope.  Teamwork!  We did not do so well in this particular event, but we had fun!

Jess and I accepting our class award with our teacher, Han Laoshi
Our American class with our overall 7th place award
Me and my Japanese friend, Rongzi, from my TaiChi class.  She also ran the women's 200m.
 
My prizes? A hand towel and a travel shampoo-toothpaste set

3 comments:

  1. You're amazing, Mallary!! I love it!!!!!

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done for someone that starts the blog "I'm not a runner:)" Looked like a fun time at the track meet! You and Chip sure are involved in the other student's lives and the lives of your teachers...as well as the people you have become friends with. Good job!

    ReplyDelete