Friday, August 20, 2010

Mallary's First Hot Pot

Sweet potato, mushrooms, tofu, and yep, those are quail eggs (and nope, I did not eat them)
Hot Pot before we threw in our meat and veggies



The restaurant even provided aprons!
Our friends, Jan and Lloyd. They will be teaching in the birthplace of Hot Pot--Chongqing, China.
The Chinese have eaten hot pot for over 1,000 years.  Mallary had her first this week.  The outer ring contains fungus and green onions in a savory broth.  The inner ring contains spicy broth!  We ordered all sorts of raw meats (mostly mutton) and veggies, threw them in the broth to cook, and then pulled them out with chop sticks.  It was a fun meal.  They even served sweet tea gelatin with watermelon and raisins for dessert!

4 comments:

  1. Yum, hot pot. There are a lot of things I would miss if I didn't live in China. Many of them are foods...
    I actually really like the little quail eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were restaurants in Thailand that served this!

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really fun! We did something like this once with some friends of ours who served for 10 years in Japan, and I really enjoyed it! It's fun to hear about your experiences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...very interesting. The fungus part part especially (ick). How was that raw meat Mal? ;)
    Glad you are getting the cultural experience!

    ReplyDelete