We attended the Wagashi Three-Self Church in Beijing last Sunday. Three-self churches are controlled by the Chinese government, but are self-governing, self-propagating, and self-supporting.
I was surprised to see people rush and press to get in the doors between services. It was quite crowded in the sanctuary and there was even seating outside and in a separate room. We got seats in the main sanctuary when some people sacrificially gave their seats to us because we were guests. The Chinese are very hospitable.
The service was in Mandarin, but we were able to wear headsets with the English translation. The sermon was about examining your heart for selfishness and arrogance--similar to sermons in the states. Joy was truly evident on the face of the pastor!
(Sorry the pictures aren't great. They are all I have, and I wanted to share the experience with you. If you respond, please remember to follow communication guidelines.)
it's interesting to see forms similar to what we would see in the United States--a choir wearing robes, the candelabra that looked almost like a Jewish menorah, Powerpoint presentation, etc. it brings up interesting issues of contextualization and cultural relevance...
ReplyDelete