This semester I enrolled in a Chinese Calligraphy class (书法). I love it! The teacher is great and for most of the period he plays ancient Chinese music while we paint basic strokes. It is really quite relaxing. Right now we have only practiced the basic horizontal and vertical strokes and it is more difficult than it looks. It is truly an art.
Similar to my Tai Chi class last spring, taking this elective has given me the chance to make friends from many different countries including Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Russia, and England. And while we do not often speak each other's native tongue, we can easily converse using Chinese.
| Stacks of practice paper |
When Wang Zhaojun was offered to Mongolia, it was the Chinese emperor's first time to set eyes on her. He was amazed by her beauty and wanted to take back the offer, but Wang Zhaojun was an upright woman and agreed to go. The Mongolian emperor was so pleased by the exchange that China and Mongolia experienced many years of peace. For Wikipedia's take on the story, click here.

What a neat story! You seem to find very interesting classes to take, too! I love hearing about what you're learning.
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I would love to take a class like that!
ReplyDelete