Sunday, October 21, 2012

Siping Orphanage

Over the weekend, two classmates and I traveled to Siping, a nearby city, to visit an orphanage.  It was a great experience.  While the kids have obvious hardships and disabilities, I felt much joy and contentment within them as we held them and played together. 
Holding a nine month old precious baby
Lauren with a boy whose leg casts were just removed in the last week. Hopefully he will learn to walk.
Emily with a joyful little mute child
Some children do get adopted out, but the ones with more severe physical and mental disabilities may be here for a long time.
This young boy will be going home with a family soon
The boy in the pink here is blind, but he was very vocal and energetic!
They loved seeing photos of themselves

One of the caregivers holding a wee one
This one broke my heart.  A Chinese student volunteer told me she has one quarter of the mental capability that we have.  I asked if he thought she would be adopted.  He said probably not.  Only the "normal" children get adopted.  I asked what would happen to her.  He said she would stay here until she grows up and then find some sort of simple work. 
 This is the toddler room, but there are older children, as well.  All the kids eat, sleep, and go to school within the orphanage complex.
Showing off his new hat
This little one was crying on the floor and I held and him/her (sometimes genders were unclear) and emotions subsided.  How sweet are those eyes peering up at me?  We have American friends who live in Siping who visit the orphanage every Saturday.  What an awesome way to serve the least and the lost.

4 comments:

  1. These were really heartbreaking to see in lots of ways. How wonderful that you got to go love on these children! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It reminds me a lot of our time in Thailand. You look really beautiful and joyful holding all these sweet babies!

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. So touching, beautiful, and heartbreaking all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete